This page has moved to a new address.

recipes as art

the path less traveled market: recipes as art

7.15.2012

recipes as art

My dad's mom died in March, and she was an excellent cook as well as a wonderful hostess. She left oodles of handwritten recipes, some that she hadn't made in years, and some that were family classics. As I was looking through them I was inspired by this pin to frame some of them to decorate our kitchen.


I picked up these frames for $0.33 each from a thrift store, and once I had decided which recipes to use I painted the frames white. The can of paint cost $0.98 at Walmart. Amazing!

Once the frames were dry - after several coats to cover the black and gold finish - I used some natural colored photo corners to mount the recipes onto white cardstock (so that I can switch them out if I want without damaging them). I really love how they turned out! Although after living with them for a while I think I want to go back and add ribbons like the originals. : )


and this last photo shows how they fit in with the decor of most of our downstairs (really the only thing left out is the kitchen, which is behind me!) quite a bit of which is still in progress. Imagine the red turned to a creamy white or very light yellow, for example.

There is something so sentimental about being able to see the handwriting of someone you love, handwriting that will never write you another card, spelling out the recipes from your childhood every day. So, yes, I am very happy with how they turned out!


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! I have a mounted and framed magazine picture of ravioli from my grandmother's collection...looks just like the dish from the Christmas table! So much comfort in such a small frame.

~Suzanne

July 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

I love this idea! How special that you have your grandmother's recipes.

July 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home