This page has moved to a new address.

homemade Moses basket

the path less traveled market: homemade Moses basket

5.24.2010

homemade Moses basket




After about a week of working on it, off and on, I finished Baby's basket last night.

I've been wanting to have a Moses basket for our babies, but just haven't been wanted it badly enough to fork over $70 (or more, depending on sales and the company I was looking at).

So, when I was walking through Walmart one day and saw this basket for $5 in their home decorating section, I decided to try to make/line my own. How hard could it be, right?

The first step (other than drawing up a pattern, which I figured I'd skip), was to figure out how to pad the bottom. I didn't have any batting on hand (and didn't want to spend any more money) so I folded one of the "rag" towels into thirds and laid it in the bottom. I traced the outline of the edge with a Sharpie and cut.

I sewed through the center of what was then a stack of three pieces of terry cloth to keep them from shifting.
Then I took some dark brown quilting weight material and made a sort of pocket that I slipped stack of toweling into. Sewed the end, quilted it, and the little mattress (of sorts) was done.



The first half was done, now to make the bumper!

-the layers of the bumper: inside, padding, outside-

I used material that I had in the closet for the bumper - more dark brown quilting weight and also some aqua and white seersucker from a blouse that had belonged to my Gramma.

This is the part that I really should have made a pattern for. If anyone reading this is thinking of making one, I'd really recommend doing a trial run with paper!
The bumper I made turned out really cute, just about 4" too small! Also, I tried to sew the entire thing together and forgot that I need to turn it right side out! So, more stitch ripping but both mistakes were easy to fix.

For the inside I did a colorblock pattern with the brown on the ends and the seersucker in the middle. I used the rest of the towel for the padding, and the last bit of the seersucker for the outside.

I really love how it turned out, but next time I will make a pattern and plan how I'm going to turn it right-side out!



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger vanessa @ silly eagle books said...

Really cute! I think I'd try it without the pattern first and make a ton of mistakes, too! You fixed it so nicely!

May 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Nice project. I would love it if you would link this up in Modern Craftswoman Monday. Very well done. Rory

May 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Thanks for linking and helping to make this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Rory

May 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

super cute!

May 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Sheri@childmade.com said...

I like that! I like that it's tied in several places to keep it in place, and then can be untied for washing. And I'm always inspired by recycled materials. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

May 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Sachiko said...

I love this! Thank you for linking up to my party!

May 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Good idea to use that basket. I have a tutorial for making moses basket bedding that might help you:

http://sewcando.blogspot.com/2009/08/moses-basket-redo-bedding-tutorial.html

Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

May 28, 2010 at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home