This page has moved to a new address.

handmade Christmas, part I

the path less traveled market: handmade Christmas, part I

12.18.2010

handmade Christmas, part I


I made a dozen tea towels to give as gifts this year to, well, some of my loved ones (you know who you are already, so what am I trying to hide?). :)
They were so much fun to make, and so pretty that I'm thinking of keeping a few for myself!

I meant to post these and the tutorial right after I finished making them two weeks ago. Really, I did.
But you still have time to make some too, if you'd like!

To make them I used:

  • 6 cotton "flour sack" towels, 30"x30"
  • a bag full of ribbons and trims that I've been saving
  • sewing scissors
  • iron and ironing board
  • my sewing machine

I cut the towels in half the long way to end up with 12 towels that were 15"x30".
Then I pressed them, ironing out a bunch of the wrinkles and pressing a hem on the raw edge.
Next I sewed the hem on the raw edge, making them finished on all four sides.

I have a bag full of short ribbons and miscellaneous trims that I've been saving and I spent an hour or so sorting through it looking for just the right combination of ribbon and trim for each of my loved ones (making them so cute and personal). That was the most fun out of the entire project!

The last step was sewing the trim on to the towels. Once that was done, all that was left was to wrap them up!

I'm linking this at these blogs - check them out for some terrific Christmas ideas!










Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Those are so pretty!

December 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I love these towels because they feel so vintage. They'd make such great gifts.

December 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Those are lovely!

December 19, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Moe said...

Oh so nice! What a great gift. I've done all handmade this year & my brother is already using his hat. I still have my dad, grandpa & sisters to make.

They are the hardest to make for!

I love all the trim on your towels :) Popping by from sew can do :)

December 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger JenBalding said...

these turned out really cute! I might have to make some of these really quick!

December 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I love tea towels as hostess gifts and these are great! Hoping you'll visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! Wishing you a very blessed Christmas! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

December 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Louisa said...

I love the colors you chose!

December 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Marie {Make and Takes} said...

So pretty! What a great gift. I'd love to have you submit this to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

December 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Esther Asbury said...

Fun and pretty! Love to give (and get) tea towels as hostess gifts!

December 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Perfect gift idea! Where did you get the towels?

December 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Naturally Carol said...

I love the type of trim you used and the colours are just like a country summers day!

December 23, 2010 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

Thank you everyone! I got my towels at Target, but can't find them on the web site - it looks like you can get similar ones at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-5pk-Flour-Sack-Kitchen-Towel-White/14938258),
Sam's Club (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=134011&pid=CSE_Froogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=149321),
Williams-Sonoma (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5742317/?catalogId=56&bnrid=3180501&cm_ven=Shopping&cm_cat=Froogle&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default),
and Crate and Barrel (http://www.crateandbarrel.com/kitchen-and-food/dishtowels/set-of-3-flour-sack-towels/s215449) and probably a bunch of other places too. Have fun!

December 23, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home